Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, March 20, 2011

A New Missonary in Japan Sapporo mission!

We recieved a call from church headquarters this week telling us that Elder Ovard is being transferred to Sapporo Japan along with all of the other missionaries in his mission.  Wow  I can't imaging the amout of stress that puts onto the Sapporo Mission president.  We were extremely grateful however that all of the Sendai Missionaries will stay together.   The Toyko msissionaries are being split up into three missions that are down south.

The next day Thursday March 18th at 3 in the morning Elder Ovard did call us to tell us he was safe in Sapporo. He already had a love for the Sapporo mission president and seemed to be doing good.  I felt his voice sounded tired.  Wade (his dad) thought he sounded just fine.  Elder Ovard said the Sendai missionaries were all over the place.  They were staying in the mission home and in nearby apartments.  Elder Ovard was with Elders in a nearby apartment.  I said are you sleeping on the floor?  He laughed and said, "Mom, I always sleep on the floor."  I thought that was so funny.  He sleeps on a futon.

Elder Ovard said that he was bussed from Morioka to Aomori and  flew to Tokyo and then they flew fromToyko to Sapporro.  This was different than how I was told he arrived in Sapporo. I thought that he took the ferry accross.  I asked how they are able to accomodate all the missionaries.  He said there is a Costco there in Sapporo and they fed all of the missionaries pizza the night before.  Elder Ovard was very amazed at how much money the church was spending on the missionaries.

I feel like a new missionary mom again.  I am anxiously awaiting his email.  I want to know where he is serving.  Who his companion is and if they are integrating the Sapporo and Sendai missionaries together.  Elder Ovard will be serving in the Sapporo mission for an undetermined amount of time as they assess the radiation problem.

Our love and prayers go out to all the missionaries serving in Japan.  This disaster has caused them all to adjust.  We are also very grateful to the mission presidents for thier service and Christlike love that they show the missionaries and the people in Japan.  We know they must be so tired and they still go on serving the Lord.  I am grateful Elder Ovard has this opportunity to learn from there amazing example.

No comments: