Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, March 20, 2011

An email Sister Dotson sent her mother

I just heard from my daughter Sister Rachelle Dotson and she is now in the


Sendai area- she was in Osaki when the quake hit.

Here is part of her email
"so I was riding my bike when the earthquake hit. I heard it first then felt

it. I got off my bike and crouched down. The car in front of us was rocking

back and forth, lifting off the ground. There was a canal next to us where

the water was splashing at least 10feet over the sides. We were next to a

field so we crawled there, hugged each other and said a prayer. After the

big earthquake the earth kept moving for the next two days. Even today,

there are still small quakes. The ground had given way in a lot of places.

But even though everything inside our apartment was trashed, our apartment

was okay. We did not have running water for two days, but yesterday it

started again. But we have been without electricity or cell phone usage

since then. We slept with our clothes on and the door open so that we could

leave if another big earthquake hit. We visited members during the day and

helped clean up the church. But we still did not have electricity so when

the opportunity came to!

go to kamisugi I took it. We had food, so we were fine."

What a relief it is to know where she is (in Kamisugi and northern suburb of

Sendai), that they have food and water and that they were able to get back

to their apartment. I am so grateful that she can dress warmly now.

No comments: