Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, March 20, 2011

I'm In Sapporo!!

I`m in Sapporo!!! Haha ya it`s even hard for me to believe. It`s been a crazy past week that`s for sure. It has been nice to get here and finally get a little settled in though. Last weekend was kind of a party as we had our whole Sendai mission gathered together with President Tateoka on Friday, and then both missions (Sendai and Sapporo, now only Sapporo) gather for a mission conference on Saturday. It was fun to see everybody and even catch up with some of the missionaries we knew from the MTC. It was definitley an adventure and quite the trip getting here though.
We got the announcement on Wednesday afternoon that we would be going to Sapporo. We were all a little surprised but what was even more of a surprise was that we would be going that day!!! Luckily I had a little time to get my things together but there were a lot of missionaries who basically came with nothing. We hopped on a charter bus Wed. evening with about 40 missionaries and headed up to Aomori, the most northern part of our mission. We arrived in Aomori around 1:30 in the morning and stayed in a hotel (which means I did sleep in a bed for the first time in about a year :)). We got up early that morning and took a taxi to the airport in Aomori and flew to Tokyo. Yeah I got to go to Tokyo!!! Haha I`ve wanted to go to Tokyo for forever but unfortunately we didn`t leave the airport. We met up with Elder Chie, our area authority and member of the 70, and he sent us off to Sapporo. We met up with President Daniels here and then headed to the Mission Home in Sapporo. Surprisingly, Sapporo is actually a bigger city than Sendai. I was a little surprised with that but don`t have any problem with it :) That evening we ate pizza from Costco, yeah Costco :), and that was about it. Things were a little crazy with about 70 missionaries in one home but I think things worked out alright. I stayed the evening in one of the nearby apartments.
Friday we were able to meet with President and Sister Tateoka and it was awesome. I love them so much. It was so sad to say goodbye to them. They have done so much not only for us missionaries, but the members and more importantly the people of Sendai. They worked so hard and I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to serve under President Tateoka. I learned so much. I hope to be able to continue to incorporate the things I have learned as I continue to serve. It was so hard for all of us to say goodbye. After the conference we all got in line to give them hugs goodbye and I have never seen so many tears in my life. I kind of felt like a baby but that is how much I love and appreciate all they have done for me. They will always have a special place in my heart! :) They have now returned to Sendai to help out there and try and get the members and everybody under control.
We were also blessed to have Elder Chie, a member of the 70 speak to us as well. There is so much power when our leaders speak to us!! He is Korean but spoke in English. He is such an awesome man. He actually talked a lot about marriage and how we need to get married right away after our missions. Geez!!! Haha I still got a year left!
Then we had President and Sister Daniels speak to us. I already love them. This morning we got up early, went to the church and played basketball and volleyball with President and some of the missionaries. He loves to be active and is a lot of fun. I`m excited to get to know him and serve under him. During the conference with both missions He announced the transfer. Wow that had to have been pretty overwhelming trying to figure out what to do with 140 missionaries!! Sadly I am not comps with my beloved Narita Choro anymore, but I am with another awesome missionary named Elder Kobayashi :) He is an awesome missionary and so much fun! He`s got a way fun and interesting personality and everybody loves him so I`m excited to work with him. We will be the Zone Leaders in an area called Teine. We also have 2 other missionaries in our same apartment. They are both from the Sendai mission. Elder Shaw and Elder Taylor. No not my beloved Elder Taylor from the MTC but they are both good guys. Our apartment is a little small so we kind of have to fight to make it work but it`s not too bad. Basically every area became at least a 4 man apartment and there are even some apartments with 6 Sisters. Look out!!!
Our ward is awesome. Ya, it`s a ward!!!! There are about 70 people in our ward and they have already been helping out so much. I am so thankful for these awesome saints here in Japan and for their sacrifice for us. It has been a lot of work and I`m sure a lot of stress trying to combine 2 missions, but they are doing a good job.
I also am lucky enough to come into the area just in time for a baptism!!! Noshiro, an 18 year old kid will be getting baptized this Saturday. Yaaayyy!! I was able to meet him yesterday and He`s awesome. We also met with a self-referral yesterday after church and were able to make a baptism date with him too!! His name is Mickey. He`s Japanese but said to call him Mickey. He has a bad addiction to alchohol and cigarettes but wants to quit so he came to the church. The work is moving forward here and there is no doubt in my mind it will continue to move forward as we prepare for the temple here in Sapporo!! :)
Thank you all for all your prayers on our behalf during this time of struggle here in Japan. Things are now going well and we will be able to focus on the missionary work we all love doing. I`m so grateful for this opportunity the Lord has blessed me with and am going to do all I can to make the most of it. I love you all!!! Take Care.
Elder Ovard

No comments: