Hello all our dear family and friends!
Thank you so much for all of your concern for Elder Ovard. It has been a long day and night since hearing the news of the devistation in Japan. Elder Ovards mission is the Sendai, Japan mission where the epicenter of the quake was. He is currently serving in the city Morioka. Your calls and text messages really helped our spirits. We appreciate your love.
When we heard the news Friday morning we immediately went straight to the computer to email him and look for any word from him. I was able to see immediately on a missionary mom website that they had heard the Elders and Sisters in Morioka were safe. This was very calming but still we worried so much for the other Elders. My thoughts also turned to Elder Ovards emotional welfare. I knew he must be busy reaching the Elders in his zone. I was very grateful that he has other Elders to look after hoping it would take his mind off of himself.
Through out the day we watched for an email. Especially when we knew he was awakening for the day (I don't know if he even slept.) We waited all day and still no email. I kept watching the missionary mom site and later in the evening most moms were recieving emails. At 11:30 last night I did recieve a call from church headquarters. They are doing a fabulous job reaching the missionaries given the poor communication service that they have in the area. The gentleman at church headquarters informed me that unfortunately they are unable to locate Elder Ovard. My heart sank. I said he is in Morioka (knowing that the Elders and Sister there were safe.) He said oh Morioka. I also said his companion. Have you heard from him and they had heard from Elder Narita. This was comfort to me. I knew he was with Elder Narita. The brother on the phone sounded a little uneasy with our call. I hung up confident and also very scared (I know that sounds wierd.) We prayed for some answer of surety that our son was safe. I knew he was safe, but I knew at that moment what the other mother's must be feeling.
At 12 midnight the phone rang again. It was church headquarters. They confirmed that Elder Ovard was safe and accounted for and someone had spoken to him. Our prayers were answered. What a relief and a stream of Happy Tears began to flow from all of us.
Through out the night we kept our phones on hoping for some news from Blake. At 5:45 we recieved a message via Wade's cell phone. It was short saying, he was safe and It is Crazy and what is the news back home. They sent a few text messages back and forth. Blake is by a radio listening for updates. I think we know more than he knows about the earthquakes. He doesn't have electricity and the water is running again. He is in his apartment. They are still feeling the earthquakes and starting to get use to the feeling. He asked us to call him and gave us his number. We are unable to get through. We wish we spoke Japanese because we get some message recorded in Japanese when we try to call.
We feel at the moment that he is a little nervous. He is waiting for direction as to what to do next. We are anxious for him to be able to start working and helping people. I know he will feel better then when he is serving.
We are still so grateful he is serving a mission in Sendai, Japan. We know that the Lord will strengthen him and help him to serve his brothers and sisters there. This work is a work of miracles. These young missionaries have the help of our Heavenly Father and it is so evident in the confidence our Heavenly Father places on them.
I have confidence in my Heavenly Father that Elder Ovard will be protected and used as an instrument in bringing the salvation to all men. This gospel of Jesus Christ is true and needs to be shared.
Keep all the missionaries in your prayers. I know they feel the strength from your prayers. Elder Ovard say, "Keep praying for me."
Lots of Love,
Heather Ovard
Blakes mother
1 comment:
So good to read of good news and hope! Thank you for sharing your son's mission pubicly, it is a blessing to all who read it.
Post a Comment