We did service last week on Tuesday. It may not have been the `put your boots on and get dirty` project like we`ve done in the past, but it was still an awesome experience of helping those who have been affected by the recent tsunami. We were sent to a turf dome in an area near Miyako where we helped orgainze and set out boxes full of goods for victims of the disaster. I was surprised at how much there was!! It was humbling to see all the goods that had been provided for others. I know at times it can be hard to wonder if the service we give is actually of any sort of value but I can promise you that these sweet people will be more than happy with anything they get. Small acts of kindness go a long ways!!
Our work within the college is continuing to be a success! This past week we entered in and with great timing we were able to catch a young group of kids beginning to play softball. I had been wanting to play for a while so decided to take advantage of the opportunity! I was a little nervous trying to get in with the group but thankfully a couple nice kids were there who welcomed us in and even provided a couple gloves for T.D. Choro and I. We threw the ball around a little bit then began to take a little batting practice. It was more like a game though and I couldn`t believe how hard they were all playing! They had all played ball in high school, not to mention a few of them were even on the college`s softball or baseball teams! Haha. I guess I picked a good group huh. They knew how to play and some of those girls were really whippin that ball in there. The catcher wasn`t wearing any gear and I could tell it was dangerous. About 4 pitches after talking to one of the kids about the catcher at least putting a helmet on, he took one right to the face. His glasses broke and he had a pretty good mark going on his face. Not much blood but his glasses were a little damaged. The kid was going to take them into a shop and have them fixed but T.D. suggested that he try and fix them himself. He did the job and got them looking good as new! :) The kids were really impressed and we were thankful for the opportunity we had to serve them. We weren`t out there `declaring repentance` or anything like that but I do feel like they were able to get a good vibe off of the 2 American Mormon missionaries in Morioka Japan! haha. They all softened up to us by the time we were done.
We had our Bagel Party this past week and it was a huge success!!! To our surprise we had over 30 people show up! We put out over 150 bagels within 2 hours and not a single one remained by the end of the night. Talk about a horse wanting its` hay! Ha. They loved them! We had all sorts of different people show up from members and investigators, to the Chinese kids who recieved an invitation the night before haha. Everybody had a good time and it really was a success. We are excited to continue these activities and see if we can`t get some investigators out of them :)
I`m so thankful to be a missionary!! It`s not always easy but there is nothing better in the world than to go out everyday trying to help people to live better lives. The gospel has so much to offer! It`s not a scary thing! I love being myself and trying to make people happy. It`s simple! More than telling people about the reality of our Savior Jesus Christ I hope to live in a way that people can see his image in my countenance through the things I do. I`ve got a long ways to go but I guess that is why I`m here. I`m thankful for your good examples to me. Love you all!! Take Care.
Elder Ovard
Service activity
Softball game!
Loving the Swing!!! Great game.
Making bagels for the ward! They loved it.
Japanese, American, Chinese, Chinese







No comments:
Post a Comment