Hey everyone!! Time definitely flies by as a missionary but this week really flew by! It has been so awesome too. We have been blessed with so many awesome opportunities and I must tell you that Japan knows how to party when the time comes!!
In Japan, August is almost as crazy as December/January for us in America. And them as well for that matter. It is a time for family, and fun!! It is also the kids break from school. This week we had `Sansa Matsuri`, or a festival. It lasted 4 days and was so much fun!!! The festivals here are one of my favorite times of the year. I was able to think back alot about my time in Iwaki last year and all the good memories from then. It`s hard to believe that much time has already passed by! It is a blast though. There was a huge parade that went on every night for about 3 hours. They play drums, sing, dance, and all sorts of other things while walking down the main road of Morioka. It just feels like `JAPAN` Haha. On the last night T.D. Choro and I even tried to hop in a circle and shake a leg. Obviously we didn`t know the dance so we probably looked ridiculous from the start but T.D. Choro was getting into it and after not too long even had things down pretty well! Haha afterwards he said he know knew what it was like to be an olympic track star having flashing lights on you 24/7. He thought the Japanese people had a good time watching a big sweaty foreigner in a white shirt and tie try and dance haha.
We also made it over to Miyako this week for another service project!! I must say that after finishing this project we were all pretty happy with the work we had done. We cleared out a gutter and pretty much made it look brand new. It was full of dirt and a little bit of everything due to the tsunami. I took out the cement blocks on top of the gutter and boy did I get quite the work out!! Not being able to move my arms for the next 2 days was a feeling of the past that I didn`t mind too much ;) Ha. We finished the job and for the first time were able to see the fruits of our labors right before our eyes. There is still so much to be done that at times it can be hard to feel like you accomplished anything but we got that gutter cleared out nicely. There were lots of really nice people from other places there helping out as well!! It is an honor to be able to talk with and communicate with the people who have not only been affected by the disaster, but people who have come to help as well. There are lots of good people out there!
This week we met up again with Mitamura Kumiko and her daughter Akari. We watched the Restoration DVD and they really enjoyed it!! We commited the mom to baptism and she said that when she knew it was true she would be baptized!! We didn`t get as far as making the date but she is very strong and I have a feeling that once the date is made she will come through. We introduced the Plan of Salvation at English Class and I think she has interest in that as well!
I had an interesting testimony builder the other day. We found a dude on the street who was more than happy to meet with us the next day at a nearby park. We went to the appointment, and not to my complete surprise, he brought a friend with him. Yes, they were missionaries from their sect of Buddhism, and I am once again grateful for the things they taught me on how to become a better missionary. (I don`t think they had studied the PMG very well) ;) They confirmed to me how important it is to bear pure testimony and of the importance of knowing the truth for ourselves through the Spirit. I am grateful for the testimony I have!!
Thank you all for all you do!! I love you all so much and am grateful for the friendship we share. I am so lucky to be a missionary right now!! This work has blessed my life in so many ways and I want to do all I can to become the missionary my Heavenly Father desires. I am so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know he lives. I know he loves us. I know the Atonement is real and I`m so thankful to have the restored gospel on the earth today!! I wish you all the best. Have an awesome week.
Elder Ovard






No comments:
Post a Comment