Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Service, Hot Sauce and fun!

Well fam and friends August has come and gone and now we`re almost a week into September!! Pretty crazy. I`m not sure if you`ve heard anything or not but we were expected to get a typhoon this past weekend. Don`t worry!- there was nothing more than a few strong winds and your average rainfall. I did hear that it was a little more intense down south though?



It`s been another busy and somewhat eventful week. We did have President Rasmussen come up here for a day and spend some time with Elder TD and I. He wanted to hear how the `new missionary program` has been going and we even got on the bikes together and did a little finding! Haha. It was fun to serve with President. He also stayed for our weekly planning session in which I am grateful for the things he taught me about planning. I definitley need to become a better planner!!


On Tuesday we bussed it over to Miyako for another service project. We did yard work for an old couple, consisting mostly of pulling weeds. (I was feelin it for a couple days afterwards!!) We were able to get things looking much better for them though. I did have the opportunity of talking with them about their experience with the tsunami. They live on a little bit of a hill but not far from the ocean at all. You can see it from their house. When the tsunami started coming they escaped outside but noticed that the waters were still coming so they had to run away up the hill. I could picture it perfectly in my head. Almost like a movie. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to watch everything you once had be destroyed. Thankfully their house is still standing but alot of re-modeling has been done. They were such sweet people. They bought us ice cream as well :) I did have one scary moment as I was bit by a bug which resulted in immediate inflammation. Some medicine did the job but after getting ringworm in the past I wasn`t about to take a bug bite lightly! haha.


We had an interesting lesson after English Class last week. It was on the atonement. We used an exciting object lesson, something we have done 2 or 3 other times since TD has arrived. I must first tell you that TD Choro likes his spices and there aren`t many things he is afraid of. I`ve seen him put down a few bottles of tabasco sauce in our time together and this time he decided to step it up and go with a bottle of habenaro hot sauce haha. The lesson is very simple. I will try and explain. All you need is a glass of clean water. This represents us but unfortunatley as we go throughout life we make mistakes and commit sin, resulting in our water becoming unclean (drops of hot sauce begin to enter the water). I think you get the point. Well, TD dumped the whole bottle of habenaro in and then after we explained how Jesus felt the pain of all of our sins and took everything upon Himself by Himself, TD Choro drank the glass of water (now hot sauce). It got people`s eyes open! haha. They couldn`t believe what they had just seen and it was a good object lesson to help them understand what the atonement is :) haha. Don`t worry, TD is fine.


We`ve got a busy week ahead of us including Elder Aoyagi of the Quorum of the Seventy coming to Zone Conference, a crepe party, and sports. We are making progress with the branch and we are confident that our investigators will follow as well. It`s just a process right now.


Thanks for everything! I love you all. Hope you have an awesome week. Take care!!


Elder Ovard







No comments: