Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Woo Hooo!!


Hello everyone!

I`m in Japan! Haha. Things are going great. It took me a couple days to overcome the jet lag but after that everything was back to normal. My companion is Elder Warren from Heber City. He has been out almost a year. We are serving in the city of Iwaki. I believe it is the most southern part of the mission.

We have been working really hard the past couple of weeks! We both have bikes. I like riding them because it`s good exercise :), but it`s tough stuff! We talk to everyone we see and have been teaching a lot of lessons as well.

About a week and a half ago we found a new investigator while streeting! His name is Onodera San. I thought he was like 30 years old but I found out he`s actually 40. People in Japan look much younger than they really are! We have taught him 4 lessons and He is getting baptized this Sunday!!!! I am so excited! He came to church yesterday and it was awesome. The members here are so kind and friendly. He is a golden investigator. We gave him a BoM when we met him and by the next time we met he had read all the way through 2 Nephi! Wow. I am so excited for him to be baptized. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that you have helped someone come unto Christ.

It has been raining really hard these past couple days. It makes riding a bike a little bit of an adventure! Ha. After dinner on Saturday night we were walking to our bikes and noticed that Elder Warren had a flat tire. I just laughed and said, "We`re jinxed on Saturday nights!" Haha. Last Saturday night I got a flat and now it was him! Ha.

I am so thankful to be serving the Lord at this time. It isn`t always easy, but I know it will be worth it. My testimony has already grown so much. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life. The members here in Iwaki are awesome. They are all so kind to the missionaries. We don`t have to do a whole lot of shopping because they give us so much food! They are so sweet. I love you all! Thanks for everything.

Take Care,
Elder Ovard

Left: picture of my first "HUMMER" a bike that a member let me use until I was able to get me a bike.  Right: picture of my new bike. Imamiya Shimai helped me buy this bike.  I only paid $50.00 for this bike and she paid for the rest of it.  She is so sweet and does so much for the missionaries.   I was planning on paying $600 to $700 for a bike.                                                 

2 comments:

McKenzi and Matt Irvin said...

WOW! Sounds like you are doing awesome! Already your first baptism! So proud of you Blake! Love you!

jeni a. said...

Thanks for posting these, Heather - love them!