We had a wonderful telephone call with Elder Ovard. He was able to talk to us three times!!! Yeah yeah! We talked to him on Monday evening at 8:30. He sounded so happy and he said he was so ready to leave the MTC. He even liked the ride to the airport and was able to see the world. :) He spoke in Japanese. He said he Loved his Family!!!! (he had to translate that of course) He told us that he was so excited to meet his mission president and he had heard how nice they were. We had a conference call and then he wanted to speak to his brother and sisters privately. Austin said he was a little nervous to talk to his brother but said it was just like normal and Elder Ovard made him feel so comfortable. (They had boy talk) His Grandma and Grandpa Gubler were able to make it down just in time to say hi and he had to go. He wanted to know when Austin's state playoff game was. When we told him tomorrow at 4:00 he was so excited because that was just when his lay over in South Korea would be and he would be able to call us back. Yes he made it to Korea 16 hours later. Then he had a 5 hour lay over in Korea.
When he was in Korea it took him a few hours to make it through customs. I didn't think he was able to find a pay phone or a calling card. Then at 4:00 right when we were pulling up to the ball game we recieved a call from South Korea. We were so excited to talk to him again. He did sound a little tired but still very happy and excited. It was so fun to give him a little play by play of the ball game. I asked if it was making him homesick and he said no. He says he misses the games for sure but knows that he is where he should be. We were able to let so much family talk to him because a lot of his aunts and uncles and cousins were at the game. It was so perfect. After talking for a while he hung up to go get himself something to eat and drink. He wanted to call back after the game so he could talk to Austin . (Boy talk again) It was great when he called for the 3rd time. He talked to everyone privately. I didn't know when I passed the phone off that it would be the last time for me so I didn't get to say a good goodbye. Yes his mothers heart was broken. I was hoping when he arrived in Japan his mission president would let him email us to let us know he arrived and he would find my email. This is what I wrote:
Elder Ovard,
Hey I didn't get a chance to tell you how proud I was of you and how wonderful you sounded. I don't know if you were faking it or anything but you sounded so happy and confident and ready to go. It really warmed my heart and I am not worried about you. I know you will be great. I am praying for you and all of the other missionaries in Japan and especially the people of Japan that they will want to hear your message. Everyone loved loved loved talking to you. It was so fun! We all feel so good. I hope you feel really good too!!! Enjoy this new experience. We can't wait for that first email. Share details with us and please write in your journal. You'll forget things if you don't write it down. Obey the president with exactness. Love your companion. Okay enough from me. You know what to do . Live it up Elder Ovard and enjoy your bike.
Lots of Love....and SMILE :) when all else fails. It's the universal language.
Mom
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
The next morning we did recieve an email back and this is what he said:
Hi Family!!
Well I made it to Japan! Things have been going really well. President and Sister Tateoka were at the airport waiting for us when we got there. They are so awesome! I love them. I don't have any more time but I'll get back to you soon! Love you!
So fun and so good. I will cherish that first phone call!!
Elder Ovard just arriving in Sendai with President and Sister Tateoka.
No comments:
Post a Comment