Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mission Conference!

Hey everyone! I want to begin by telling my fam how much I enjoyed talking to them on Mothers Day and especially want to wish my mom another happy mothers day by telling her how much I love and appreciate her. Love you mom :)


Well we just got back from an activity with President and Sister Daniels and some of the Sendai missionaries. We played something called `park golf`. It was a blast! We hopped in the cars and headed up into the mountains to a local ski resort. All the snow has melted and they have a golf course set up. It wasn`t `real` golf, but it was a little more intense than your usual mini putt :) It was a beautiful view and lots of fun so President wanted to make sure that we have the opportunity to play before we head back. As for that- I`m not sure whether or not I`m gonna head back but I think it has been decided that missionaries will be returning in a couple weeks.


Well another week of missionary work down and many more miracles to count :) We really were so blessed this week. One of the highlights of the week was having Elder Costas and Elder Stevenson of the Quorum of the Seventy come to our mission. Elder Stevenson is our Area President. We gathered together as a mission Tuesday and boy it was amazing. We first sang songs for them, got to shake their hands, and then listened to them and their wives speak for a few hours. It was so good!! I learned a lot about how to be a more effective and successful missionary. One of the things Elder Costas focused on was ending lessons with investigators when the Spirit is strongest. By doing so we can increase second, third, and fourth lessons. He stressed that we shouldn`t worry about teaching all the contents of the lesson but should be more sensitive to the Spirit. That was something that especially stuck out to me :)


That evening we met with Fukuoka`s friend, Takuya. We taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ really simply and were even able to commit him to baptism!! He accepted for the end of June. It was a really good lesson and he seemed so happy afterwards. The next evening we met with a couple more 20 year olds and we were able to set another baptism date as well!! His name is Daiki. We had met him a few days before. I really don`t know what exactly we taught, but we focused on baptism and did all we could to follow the instruction of our leaders and commit to baptism on the first lesson. The Lord provided a way and we were able to get the job done. It was such a blessing to see the Spirit work on these 2 boys and have them accept baptism.

We went on splits this past week with the Elders from an area called Otaru and was it a beautiful train ride from Teine. Right along the ocean! I`m not gonna lie the thought of a tsunami did cross my mind, but I wasn`t worried ;) It seems like you can find some pretty scenery just about anywhere you go here in Japan. The mission is awesome. I love it. I love the teachings of Jesus. We had stake conference this past week as well and something President Daniels talked about was `love`. He gave a really good talk and read a lot of good scriptures about our Savior and His example of love. Even though He was despised and rejected He asked His Father to forgive them for they knew not what they were doing. He always loved everyone. I`m grateful for His example of love and for the love of my wonderful Mission President and his wife. I love you all! Have an awesome week.

Elder Ovard

I almost forgot!!! Haha. Fukuoka... He is still doing awesome. We have been working real had with him this past week to get all the commandments taught and he is getting a step closer to the water everyday. He is scheduled for baptism this upcoming Saturday :) We are all way excited for it. He is such a stud. His biggest fear lately was telling his mom about meeting with us and his decision to be baptized. He talked to her on the phone and was able to get things figured out. His mom trusted him and the decision he was making. So good. I am so happy for him and his decision to be baptized :)

No comments: