Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tamura Kazuki

Hey Friends and Family! How you all doin?? Well even though it`s April, and pretty much Spring, the snow has been falling here in Sapporo. It warmed up here for a few days but then mother nature came out again. I guess that`s why they`re called the frozen chosen up here. I`m ready for summer!!

It`s been another busy week. We have a lot of work going on, but I`d like to share about one boy we found this past week. It was after a nice P-Day and we were out streeting. We came across a teen-age looking kid and contacted him. At first he gave us the normal reply- Christian? I`m Buddhist. Then he started to walk off but we stopped him and asked him a few more questions. We introduced ourselves and explained a little bit more about what we were doing. We tried to get to know him a little better too. He had in his hand a bag containing some kind of a war movie. After some time he said he `hates` Americans. I wasn`t sure if I heard him correctly considering I had just told him I was American, so I re-stated his statement. Once again he said straight to my face, `I HATE Americans`. I have never been taken back so strong in my life!!! I didn`t really do anything about it though. My comp, Kobayashi Choro, was able to get things back under control and even make another appointment with him for the next day. This kids name is Tamura Kazuki. He is 21 years old, from the Tokyo area, and is living here in Hokkaido all by himself. He unfortunately already had a baby, who due to a reason that we still don`t know has already passed away. He is really lonely and has no friends. He has no idea what the purpose of life is, if there even is one. He grew up in a home where his mom was violent. Come to find out, he even attempted to commit suicide the past week. It was so hard to hear all of these things. We began to teach him about the gospel of Jesus Christ. We showed him pictures of different activities we do at church. He asked us if this was really how it is. He told us he really wants friends. As we taught him I could see hope begin to swell in his eyes, but he still had many fears. He wanted to know why he was still living, especially after he had just tried to commit suicide. We met with almost every day this past week and taught him about the Restoration and Plan of Salvation that his Loving Heavely Father has prepared for him. His whole countenance began to change completely!! We were now meeting with a new Tamura Kazuki. He now had 2 friends he could contact through his cell phone, and another he could contact at anytime within his heart through the power of prayer. One day, after we finished a lesson and were walking down the street, he turned to me and said, `Ovard. I`m sorry for what I said when we first met. I don`t know what I was thinking.` He apoligized from the bottom of his heart. I forgave him. I knew he didn`t really mean what he said. He spent time with the Single Adults in some activities that had been planned, and we were even able to attend a `music fireside` together Saturday night! I love music. There is special spirit that comes through music. After the fireside, he reached into his pocket, pulled out a pack of cigarettes, and smashed them as hard as he could in his fist. There were still 4 cigarettes in there but he knew God didn`t want him to smoke them. How strong?!! We had only mentioned the Word of Wisdom. We made plans for church the next morning. He was anxioius and excited to come, but felt bad because he didn`t have a suit. We told him time and time again that anything was fine and not to worry about it, but the next thing we know he is out buying a suit for church. He found an awesome deal too!! Definitely a tender mercy of the Lord. He showed up at church the next day looking as good as ever. There is only 1 problem. And it`s kind of a big one. He`s going back to Kanagawa, the Tokyo area, today- April 4th. He had told us about this during our first meeting but we were just kind of hoping that maybe something else could work out. Unfortunately things were just a little too late. Due to his depression, the doctor won`t allow him to have a job so he was in a tough situation. It is sad for everyone. He said more time than once, `I don`t wanna go back. I don`t wanna return. I wanna learn more with you guys.` He knew how much things things were helping his life. We have taught him well though, and he has a strong testimony of prayer and the Book of Mormon, so I am confident he will be fine. We also got him squared away on getting to church in Tokyo. He is nervous and has many fears, but I know he will stay strong. He has plans to return back to Sapporo in a month to see his baby`s grave, and we have talked about doing his baptismal service then. He wants these things so bad!!! I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to meet with Tamura. I love him so much and am grateful for the opportunity I have had to meet with him. There is no doubt in my mind there is a reason God allowed him to be living even when he attempted to commit suicide, and that reason just might have been to meet with the missionaries. The gospel is true. I love you all!! Take Care.


Elder Ovard

                        Tamura Kazuki is in the white jacket.  This is after the music fireside.

1 comment:

McKenzi and Matt Irvin said...

Wow! What a neat story! You truly have changed his life Blake. How awesome!