Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, February 6, 2011

I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

Funny thing....A couple of weeks ago my dear frriend Keely Rogers who has a son serving in Ghana said to me, "I worry about Zack getting a toothache"  She said you probably don't worry about those things in Japan because Blake could get help, but Zack wouldn't be able to go to a dentist.  Well I had never thought of that before.   Well look who had a toothache!  I am so grateful he was taken care of.

Well it`s been another busy week but also SO awesome! I really love my mission right now and couldn`t be happier than to be here in Morioka! :) This place is awesome. We got through Zone Conference and everything went really well. I love to listen to President Tateoka speak and teach us. Everytime I`m around him my testimony is strenghtened and I know that He was called of God to be my Mission President. He is so close to the Lord and the hardest working person I`ve ever met. He is the perfect example of a leader and most importantly our Savior!

So this week was kind of interesting. I`ve recently had a tooth bugging me (don`t get worried though), so I finally decided to go see the dentist. Now, something you gotta know about Japan is that they don`t necessarily have the best teeth in the world, and you might be in trouble if you end up in the wrong dentist office haha. So I was a little nervous about going to one in the first place considering we don`t have a clue in the world who might be good! Ha. We called our ward mission leader, a man of about 60 years, to get his opinion. He said he had a friend who is a dentist, which means he too is going to be old. Not gonna happen! Ha. So we decide to look in the phone book yellow pages for a dentist located on the main drag, assuming he would have to be good. We went with it, hopped on our bikes and took off. When we came to the place, Narita Choro and I were both thinking otherwise haha. It was a dump of a place and if I would have went in there I might have come out with no teeth! Haha so we continued to ride around asking different people what they thought and were finally able to find a nice looking place with a good dentist :) It definitely wasn`t Dr. Frei with Lexi on the side but they did the job! ;) Don`t worry mom, my tooth is ok and the doctor said I will probably live.

We met with one of the families in the ward this week and it was awesome! The Obayashi Family. You might not believe this but they have 8 kids!! You`d think they`re livin in Utah. We had an awesome meal with them and I even got a little bit of some Japanese culture! Apparently it was some Holiday, and they have a food you eat called `ehoumaki`. It`s basically like sushi, but while you are eating it you CANNOT talk! I guess it`s for good luck :) Ha. It was way good though. We shared a message about the Atonement with them and it went really well. The Spirit was really strong and my testimony of families was strenghtened even more. The Family is the most important social unit in time and ordained of God. I`m so grateful I can live with my family forever!

We still don`t have the most investigators at the moment, although we did pick up a new one this week. He is from Madagascar! His name is Fred and he is the most humble person I`ve ever met. His Japanese isn`t the best, and His English gets by so that`s what we teach him in. We commited him to baptism but weren`t able to make a date with him. He is going to pray about it though and I really believe he will come through. He was baptized into the Protestant church when he was younger so he already knows a little bit about Christ. We taught him about the Restoration. I didn`t know much about the Restoration before the mish, but as I learn more and more about it, I love how it is just so perfect!! I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ, and restored the same church that existed when Christ was on the earth. I know that the Book of Mormon testifies of Christ and is living proof of the reality of the First Vision. I love this Gospel!! God lives and loves us. Thank you all for your prayers and support. Take care and have an awesome week!!

Elder Ovard

No comments: