Called to Serve

Called to Serve
Japan Sendai/Sapporo Mission

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Still Shakin' in Morioka!

Well family and friends it`s another one down in the books. It has been my first full week back here in Morioka and yes it does feel good :) I have even come in contact with another friend from before! A few times by now I think. His name is Earthquake Robby? Hahaha. Yes we are still shakin and rumblin over here just a little bit. No worries though ;) It has also been raining lots over here so I think we are about to hit the `rainy season`. The weather is warming up though so that always makes things nice. And living with 3 Japanese Elders always makes things interesting too :) Ha I would have never guessed in my life I would have ever been put in a situation like this. I really enjoy it though. One morning I got a call from some dude trying to get a hold of a foreigner to come and be a minister for a wedding ceremony or something like that. Somehow he knew I was a missionary and could somewhat speak Japanese. He offered good money too!;) I had an enjoyable time talking with him and getting these 3 Elders a little nervous about what I was gonna do haha. I didn`t accept the offer although it didn`t sound like to bad of a deal getting payed nearly $200 to say a couple lines. Maybe next time :)



So we are getting closer and closer to Rika`s baptism each and every day. We met with her last week and began to teach her the commandments. We began with the Word of Wisdom, Tithing, Pray Often, and Obedience. The only problem she had was tobacco in which she was smoking 10 cigarettes per day. Her doctor had advised her to quit and she had a desire herself but hadn`t been able to put the habit away quite yet. She accepted the commitment though! We called her the next evening to follow up and she had thrown away all the cigarettes she had and was keeping the commitment!! We were so happy. She told us she thought she could follow it for the next 2 weeks and be baptized on her date for the 18th. So we are working towards that! She has so much faith and is so strong. We are also working with her son as well!! I was able to meet up with him for the first time since being back and it was a happy reunion on both ends. He is such a stud. His name is Yugo and he`s only 10 years old but he has such a good head on himself. We didn`t really focus the lesson on him but we did try to commit him to baptism as well. He didn`t accept. He said he still didn`t know the things in the Book of Mormon were true so he wasn`t ready yet. Of course we were a little disappointed but more than that I was in a little shock! This kid really knows and understands what he is getting into!! He is reading and praying everyday and his prayers are amazing. We will try and put a little more focus into him as well so he can be baptized right along side his mom.


Our investigator friend from Madagascar is still doing great and came to church again this past Sunday. He is so humble and pure. He loves to study the `Bible` with us :) We did talk about baptism with him once more but right now his biggest fear is his family. The language is still pretty tough on him and I think he is nervous about being baptized here in Japan because of that. He said he would rather do it with his fam back in Madagascar. I`m not sure whether or not they are meeting with the missionaries or going to church but they are supportive of Fred`s decision to go to church. I feel bad for him and the hard situation he`s in. As for now we will just continue to pray!


It was our first `real` week of church here in Morioka as last week was the District Conference and everybody was all smiles :) I too am excited to be here and ready to see some miracles! I love you all. Have an awesome week back in the good ol` USA! Take Care.


Elder Ovard

No comments: